Please be advised that the Library reading room will be CLOSED to the public on the following days / periods:
18 Feb. - all day
28 Feb. - all day
The bibliographic collection of the Fundação de Serralves was initially constituted by a Documentation and Research Centre (CID), created in 1987 in order to facilitate the research work necessary for pursuit of the activities of Serralves Villa, including exhibitions, guided visits, cultural tourism trips and art history courses.
The creation of Serralves Library, when the Museum of Contemporary Art was inaugurated in June 1999, represented a dramatic change in the scope and mission of its predecessor, the CID. The Library, now aimed to offer a public service and initiated a programme of acquisitions that over the course of 13 years enabled it to expand its collection from 9,000 to 35,000 titles, distributed across five main areas:
- Contemporary Art;
The Library's books can only be read on site, with conditional access for those aged under 16. Any Portuguese or foreign citizen may access the library’s collections and services.
The Library services have the following opening hours:
- Reading room (1st floor): Monday to Saturday from 10:00 to 18:00.
- Mezzanine (2nd floor): Tuesday to Sunday from 10:00 to 18:00.
In 2016 all the Library’s services are closed on Sundays and on public holidays with a fixed and variable annual date:
- January 01 - New Year's Day
- February 28 - Carnival
- April 14 – Easter Friday
- April 25 - Freedom Day
- May 1 - Labour Day
- June 10 - Day of Portugal
- June 15 - Feast of Corpus Christi
- June 24 - São João
- August 15 - Assumption Day
- October 5 - Implantation of the Republic
- November 1 - All Saints Day
- December 1 – Restauration of Independance- December 8 – Feast of the Immaculate Conception
- December 25 - Christmas Day
Free access to the documental resource
- Search in the online catalogue
- Wi-Fi Network (free)
- Reproduction, scanning, printing or recording of searches (see price list).
- Reference service (specialist support in definition of search strategies, in consultation with the online catalogue)
- Training of users in use of electronic resources.
- Reservation of documents
- Consultation of various documental resources (by sending a letter, e-mail or fax in order to formalize the request)
- Interlibrary loan.
Contact: for reservation of documents or consultation of various documental resources, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Serralves Library enables black and white photocopies of documents to be made. A self service machine is available for this purpose.
Certain restrictions are observed, in order to prevent structural damage in the books:
- documents with reserved access.
- documents in a poor state of conservation.
- Documents with special dimensions and with special material characteristics.
Copyright and author’s rights restrictions.
Serralves Library’s readers are responsible for compliance with the limitations imposed by prevailing copyright and author’s rights legislation.
Reproductions for purposes other than individual research, in particular for commercial use, requires authorisation from the Library.
Photocopy - 0:07 є per page (A4)
Photocopy - 0:15 є per page (A3)
Printing of research performed in the on-line catalogue and the Internet - є 00:10 per page
Recording of research with provision of a CD / DVD - є 2:50
Scans (recording or sending via emailing) - FREE
Implementation of searches at the request of the user, sending the printed results, via CD / DVD or by email - є 7.50 per search
The Serralves Foundation began collecting books and publications from artists in 1999 with the acquisition of editions created in the 1960s and 70s.
The Serralves Library’s Documental Collections incorporate collections of unique historical and cultural value, within the framework of national and international contemporary art.
This collection includes various categories, ranging from artists’ books to single objects.